Nathaniel Hasty, a pirate from New England and his wife Elizabeth, a school teacher from Boston, settled in “Ponce Park” during the 1870s. By 1881 they had built and established a small fishing village and trading post where Elizabeth Hasty served as a Post Mistress for twenty-four years. In 1908 Elizabeth Hasty sold the property to Frank E. and Annie Eliza Stone. The Stone family, including six-year-old Valda, moved from Titusville to “Ponce Park” joining a handful of families living at the Inlet. The Stones owned the only commercial fishing dock and soon were operating the Post Office, a general store, and an orange grove.